a stone, a leaf, an unfound door

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Countdown to Freedom

Okay, as an American, I guess I am technically 'free' (or supposedly so). But for the last five years I've been living in Canada under a work permit, which makes you anything but free. In less than one week though, I have my final interview for permanent residency and once that is issued, I'll be truly free (at least in the eyes of Canada).

For you see, for the last five years, I have had to endure horrid stress over the whole work permit thing. I'm married to a Canadian, but for any reason if I lost my job, I would be kicked out of the country on my arse. I've had to update everything annually, and everything is tied to my work permit. For three years in a row, despite how early I turn in my paperwork, my work permits have lapsed because of how long they take to process. I've lost my health insurance, couldn't renew my driver's license or vehicle license, couldn't leave the country for awhile... it's been a nightmare.

Oh, and under a work permit, you can't even take a freaking training course. My job keeps growing at my workplace, but I haven't been able to take any training (outside of conferences or in-house offerings) to even address any educational shortcomings that may make me a more effective employee.

Alberta, as anyone in North America should know, is one of the largest sources of oil in the world and is currently booming in a way that makes my skills particularly valuable. But the hoops you have to jump through to move up here permanently are insane. Here's a little rundown of what you need to do to become a permanent resident:

  • I had to list every house I ever lived at (including addresses and dates) since the time I was 18;
  • I had to list every job I have ever held (with dates and addresses!) since the time I was 18;
  • I needed to list every person I ever lived with in a common law way, and state their whereabouts and whether they knew I was up here;
  • I needed to list the dates that my husband met my family and friends and when I met his (with photos, if possible);
  • I had to provide photos and details of my wedding (and shower), including reasons why certain family or friends could not attend;
  • I had to provide photos of family vacations, as well as details as to where we went and when;
  • I had to have expensive medical exams (including an EKG and x-rays);
  • I had to get my criminal records (or letter stating lack thereof) from every state I ever lived in AND the FBI (which meant I had to get four sets of official, original fingerprints taken); and
  • I had to supply proof of income and still have someone (my husband) sponsor me in case I lose my job.

And actually the list goes on and on, but I won't dull everyone with the details. The processing has taken almost one year since the time I mailed the application, and in the meantime I had to fight to get my work permit renewed, my health insurance reinstated and my driver's license renewed. I even contacted the Minister of Immigration over the problems, and have yet to hear back from their office (and it's been over seven months).

In a province that desperately needs skilled workers and professionals to deal with this insane pace of growth, I find it so incredibly ironic that they throw so many roadblocks in your way to moving here. It's been really disappointing to say the least.

I guess I shouldn't be too negative (or vocal about my negativity) until I actually get that permanent residency card in the mail (or at least until after the interview). But I am actually excited to get this whole thing over with. I can't wait to actually go to training sessions again, or maybe even (*gasp*) take a real university course. It's the little things that count and make you feel like you are 'free', and I have a renewed appreciation of the ability to do what I please.

And of course, not getting kicked out of the country for any little lame excuse will be a bonus.

So here's to six days and counting! Don't let me down Canada, because other than your crappy immigration process, you really are quite cool!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger librarychik said…

    What a pain! Happy to have a new Canadian in my neck of the woods! Welcome.

    I am engaged to a Tanzanian and I am not looking forward to the process. I imagine it will be even more difficult to get an African man a tourist visa let alone a work visa.

    Oh well, patience.

    Nice to meet ya :)

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger nerudite said…

    Thanks for dropping by! It's good to know someone else around here is from Edmonton (although it looks like you won't be for long). I hear Tanzania is gorgeous... I hope to go someday!

    From what I hear, it's way easier to get someone a visa or permanent residency if you are married. So if you are going over there to live for awhile, and you end up getting married, it would probably be a little less than a year to process the application. If you get married, come back and you live separately while it's processed, it actually goes faster (they make an effort to get people back together).

    I have a friend whose wife was in Russia when they got married, so I've seen both perspectives. Just pop me an e-mail if you questions about the process. :)

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Oh my God, that's ridiculous. I can't even imagine where I'd find all that stuff. It all just makes me shake my head - those who should be able to reside here have to jump through hoops...yet how do gang members and criminals manage to slide in? Something just isn't right - it's like when I hear on the news about families being booted out who've been here for years. The kids are torn out of school and no one seems to listen. It's all wrong.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home